How Do You Keep Gray Hair Moisturized?
You are not the person you were at 20, and why would you want to be? Beauty brands spend billions of dollars researching and developing ways for you to turn back the clock when all you want are products that work and are tailored for your hair today.
Beauty aisles are crowded with products to disguise your grays and care for color-treated hair; however, little is available for the increasing number of women like you only want to nurture your silvery locks.
Your scalp and hair demand nutrients and moisture to maintain elasticity, strength, and appearance. Read on to learn more about how to keep your gray hair moisturized.
Why Does Gray Hair Dry Out?
During menopause, your estrogen and progesterone levels drop, and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) goes up, interfering with your hair follicles’ natural oil production. These oils are called sebum. Without sebum, your hair structure weakens, your scalp dries out, and your hair may start to thin.
Harsh shampoos and detrimental styling techniques may cause further damage to your tender scalp and brittle hair. Your once and bright and shiny grays end up faded and frail.
Ways to Keep Your Grays Moisturized
Caring for your slate locks is different and somewhat more involved than taking care of the non-gray hair of your yesteryear. Your grays are delicate and require techniques of moisture delivery that do not weigh down or flatten your grays.
Home Hydration Remedies
Check your kitchen pantry for do-it-yourself remedies that could help keep your gray hair moisturized.
Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice — Naturally acidic liquids like apple cider vinegar and lemon juice can close your cuticles (the overlapping shingle-like cells on the outer layer of your hair strands). Closed cuticles lie flat, forming a barrier that traps in liquid. Applying these acidic solutions at full strength or too frequently can cause scalp irritation or cuticle damage; therefore, be sure to dilute them with water and use only once a week.
Natural butters and oils — Even when you take steps to retain moisture, your natural oils will not always be sufficient to keep your hair hydrated. To quench your parched grays, harness the deep moisturizing properties of natural butters and oils, including shea butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. On a cautionary note, applying too much of these intense oils can leave thin or fine hair greasy and weighed down.
Use sparingly, focus on your strand tips, and wash thoroughly after the treatment.
Steep Your Grays in a Balanced Moisturizing Solution
For a carefully formulated and balanced moisturizing solution, use Better Not Younger’s Hair Redemption Restorative Butter Masque or Silver Lining Purple Butter Masque. These velvety, restorative butter masques contain:
- Mango butter — Mango butter incorporates essential fatty acids that balance your scalp's sebum production and protects it from oxidative stress.
- Avocado butter — Avocado butter is packed with amino acids and can penetrate your hair shaft for superior micronutrient delivery.
- Cupuaçu butter — Cupuaçu butter contains water absorption properties to elevate moisture delivery to hydrate and smooth your hair.
- Macadamia ternifolia seed butter — Infused with naturally occurring squalane and antioxidants, macadamia ternifolia seed butter reduces scalp oxidative stress, and the emollient qualities give your hair a hydrated, shiny appearance.
Use Better Not Younger butter masques in place of your standard conditioner once or twice a week to hydrate even the driest gray hair.
Protect Your Hair From Sun and Styling Tool Damage
To protect your hair and scalp’s natural moisture balance, safeguard your hair from the sun, and high-heat styling tools damage.
Sun damage — Your gray hair is more susceptible to the sun’s damaging rays. Your thinning hair leaves areas of your scalp overexposed to the sun’s harsh UVA and UVB radiation, compounding inflammation, dryness, and follicle injury. Guard your silvery mane and scalp by:
- Staying out of the sun whenever possible.
- Wearing a hat or scarf over your head.
- Applying broadband sunscreen with at least SPF 15 on your scalp’s thinnest areas before heading outside.
High-heat styling tool damage — Curling irons, flat irons, and hair dryers are a notorious culprit of moisture-depleting hair shaft damage. To style your hair using these heat-dependent styling tools, coat your locks with Better Not Younger’s No Remorse Heat Protection & Taming Spray. This featherlight taming spray will safeguard your tresses using:
- Avocado Oil — to withstand high heat
- Vitamin E — for softness and frizz control
- Argan Oil — to seal in moisture
Clean and Nourish Your Scalp
Your scalp contains vulnerable skin that requires extra attention as you age. When dead skin cells, sweat, or product residue builds up on your scalp, your follicles and sebaceous glands become blocked. Additionally, the nutrients that used to be plentiful in your scalp tend to diminish with age. Use New Dawn Activated Charcoal Scalp Cleanser and Superpower Fortifying Hair & Scalp Serum to galvanize your scalp for healthy, vibrant hair:
- New Dawn Activated Charcoal Scalp Cleanser — Use a scalp cleanser Better Not Younger’s New Dawn Activated Charcoal Cleanser to draw out impurities. This deep cleanser utilizes lactic acid to free up your clogged follicles and menthyl lactate to soothe irritated skin. As you massage and exfoliate your scalp, you are also triggering your sebaceous glands to release sebum and re-moisturize your scalp and hair.
- Superpower Fortifying Hair & Scalp Serum — To ensure your scalp has the necessary building blocks for producing healthy hair and sebum, nourish it nightly with Better Not Younger’s Superpower Fortifying Hair & Scalp Serum. This lightweight, fast-absorbing liquid contains vital nutrients like Vitamin C, biotin, and hydrolyzed wheat protein.
Keep Your Gray Hair Moisturized with Better Not Younger
There is no shortage of beauty companies telling you how to look younger, but all you want is to look better.
Lavish your gray locks with the attention they deserve with hair products from Better Not Younger. Our innovative solutions address the specific needs of your aging hair, making it look and feel great.
Better Not Younger believes you do not have to look younger to be beautiful. Check out our product page for our full line of hair care solutions.