What Products Make Hair Look Thicker?
Baby fine hair is soft to touch and looks great on babies — not so much on us. When we reach menopause, most of us are looking for ways to thicken our locks and improve density.
It can be challenging to make our mane appear thicker because many products weigh down your hair, or worse, make it look greasy. However, there are answers to your thin-hair dilemma, so read on to discover what products make hair look thicker.
Products to Make Your Hair Look Thicker
Look for products that lift your hair at the roots, add texture, leave your hair brushable (not crunchy or greasy), and do not weigh your hair down. Most of all, look for hair thickening products formulated to counter the effects of aging hair. These are a few from Better Not Younger:
Lift Me Up Hair Thickener
To give your hair a boost on days when it's looking and feeling thin, try Lift Me Up Hair Thickener. Named Best Thickening Spray by New Beauty and Best Volumizer by Harper’s BAZAAR, this invisible, lightweight spray lifts your hair at the roots, making your hair look thicker immediately.
- Ceramide-NG — Ceramides are lipids (fat molecules) found in plants and make up about 50 percent of our skin. When used on hair, they protect and seal the cuticle helping the shaft locking in moisture.
- Wintergreen essential oil and caffeine — Both ingredients open up scalp blood vessels and boost your follicles' blood flow. Nutrient- and oxygen-rich blood boosts your hair's health giving you the appearance of thicker hair.
- Biotin — Biotin is a B-vitamin that thickens your strand by creating strong keratin protein structures within the shaft. Biotin also decreases scalp inflammation.
- Niacinamide — Niacinamide is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory B-3 vitamin that supports follicle function and repairs your scalp’s keratin-producing cells. It also enhances the appearance and texture of your hair by boosting body and sheen.
Wake Up Call Volumizing Shampoo
Selecting the right shampoo can make a difference in the feel and look of your hair. However, most shampoos contain harsh sulfate surfactants which can dry out your scalp and hair. On the flip side, other shampoos contain heavy oils and moisturizers that flatten and weigh your hair down.
Wake Up Call Volumizing Shampoo cleanses your hair with mild surfactants giving your tresses body and bounce. This shampoo includes ingredients to maximize lift and clean without leaving behind residue buildup.
- Argan oil — Obtained from the fruit seed of the argan tree, this oil is loaded with vitamin E and omega-6 vital for a healthy scalp and hair.
- Bamboo — Made up of 70% silica, bamboo improves moisture retention making your fine hair appear thicker.
- Sage — Sage is a natural astringent that balances scalp oil production and cleans out your pores and follicles.
- Meadowfoam seed oil — Meadowfoam seed oil hydrates your hair and scalp, locks in moisture, controls frizz, and adds luster.
Wake Up Call Volumizing Conditioner
Wake Up Call Volumizing Conditioner is made to condition and moisturize your hair without weighing it down to give you fuller-, thicker-looking hair.
Wake Up Call Volumizing Conditioner gives your fine, thin hair body and bounce while nourishing it for a smooth texture without buildup.
- Apigenin — This plant-based chemical compound features antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities to promote vibrant hair.
- Burdock root extract — Burdock root nourishes your scalp and hair follicles with vitamin A, iron, potassium, and essential fatty acids.
- Hops extract — Hops is a nutrient-rich oil that builds up strength, sheen, and thickness, while antioxidants protect it from environmental damage.
Be Cautious of These Hair Thickening Solutions
There is no shortage of hair thickening products on the market and all promise that their way is the best. Nevertheless, some products have ingredients that were not designed for our aging hair and can cause damage. Their thickening solutions may give us fleeting volume and density, but the results are not worth the effort or cost.
This is true for styling methods. What worked for us when we were younger may create problems for our tresses today.
- Dry shampoo — Dry shampoo is a convenient product that can give you short-term volume and texture. Yet, many dry shampoos are only designed to be short term fixes that do not take long term scalp and hair health into account, resulting in clogged follicles and dry, brittle locks. This is why it's important to seek our talc-free and noncomedogenic formulas.
- Hair dye — Most of us have probably noticed how thick our hair looks and feels after a dye job. Permanent hair color thickens your strands temporarily by lifting your cuticles to deliver pigment into the shaft. The peroxide used to break down your natural pigment is very drying to your locks and gives your hair a straw-like texture.
- Hairspray — During the aging process, the sebum oil production in our scalps slows down, giving us dry, brittle hair. Though hairspray can make our hair look thicker, products labeled "long-lasting" often contain alcohol and leave it more susceptible to breakage.
- Styling foam (mousse) — Mousse can be used to make your hair look thicker; however, be careful what you buy. Styling foam with a lot of alcohol or made with cheap resin can dry out your fragile scalp and hair follicles, leading to further hair loss.
- Hair wax — Thick hair can be achieved with wax; however, too much can clog follicles, create residue buildup, and lead to strand breakage.
Better Not Younger Delivers Thicker-Looking Hair
Despite the effects of menopause and genetics, better hair is within your reach. Better Not Younger is a hair care company that understands your changing physiology and delivers products that give you healthy, thicker-looking hair.Click on our Shop page to check out all of our hair care solutions, and be sure to check out our ultra-deluxe Nourish + Restore Thicker, Fuller Hair System. Everything you need to make your hair look thicker, fuller, and shinier is in this attractive kit.