What Vitamins Help Nails and Hair Grow?
Everyone yearns for healthy nails and vibrant hair. When we experience frizzy, lackluster locks, and dry, brittle nails no matter what we try, it can be disheartening.
Most people identify Teflon nails and silky hair as a signal of health. Remaining active and eating a balanced diet are essential; however, sometimes, your nails and hair may need a boost. Taking nutritional supplements can invigorate scalp function, helping your hair health and thickness while also improving your nails.
There can be many factors that cause your volumeless hair or shineless nails. Thankfully, you can solve most of those issues by consuming the proper nutrients. Consuming a healthy diet and knowing what vitamins help nails and hair can give you the manicured hands and bouncy locks of your dreams.
Causes of Unhealthy Nails and Hair
Nail and hair health is affected by age and genetics, and also your overall health and diet.
As you enter menopause, your hormone levels change, causing hair loss, dry scalp, and a brittle nails condition called onychorrhexis. You experience less estrogen and progesterone production, which affects the production of keratin, the protein building blocks for nails and hair.
Age-related changes in hair and nails may include:
- Hair loss
- Hair thinning
- Hair texture change
- Scalp dryness
- Follicle shrinkage
- Melanin reduction
- Nail breakage and dullness
- Yellowish tinted nails
- Slow nail growth
Elevated stress levels, traumatic events, medications, medical conditions, and nutritional deficiencies can also affect your hair and nail health. Dietary deficiencies in particular compound age-related issues, furthering hair loss, affecting follicle function, and altering nail texture.
Both your nails and hair are keratinized tissues (made of keratin) constructed similarly in your body: hair follicles in your scalp build your hair strands, while the nail matrix at the base of your fingernails produces cells that harden to form your nails. Therefore, the nutrients that help one may also help the other.
You may diminish and improve age-affected hair and nail conditions over time with consistent vitamin supplementation.
Promote Healthy Hair From Within with Vitamin Supplements
Vitamin deficiencies can wreak havoc on your hair and nails. When your diet does not provide your body with enough vitamins and other nutrients to meet your needs, consider taking dietary supplements to balance your levels. Better Not Younger’s Significant Other Hair, Skin & Nails Supplement + Retinol Boost contains the following vitamins and minerals, and more, to help nourish and strengthen your nails and hair:
- Vitamin A — Vitamin A propels sebaceous glands to manufacture more sebum oil to moisten your scalp and follicles to create thicker, resilient hair; it also transports iron in the blood to strengthen nails.
- B-Vitamins — B-vitamins include biotin, which promotes healthy hair and harder nails; B5, which relieves menopause-related thinning issues; B6 thickens hair by transforming amino acids into keratin; folic acid (B9) fuels follicle cell growth; and B12 produces red blood cells, promotes healthy nails, and thickens your locks.
- Vitamin C — Vitamin C assists your body in making collagen, an essential protein for building hair thickness and structure and fingernail health.
- Vitamin D — Vitamin D extends the active growth phase of your follicles, allowing you to keep a fuller head of hair, and it reduces hair loss and peeling nails.
- Vitamin E — Vitamin E supports healthy nail formation and boosts hair health by relieving oxidative stress on your scalp’s skin.
- Zinc — Zinc is an essential trace element that prompts your sebaceous glands to produce sebum oil, which is crucial for hydrated hair and a healthy scalp. It also promotes hair follicle and nail bed tissue health and may reduce hair loss caused by hypothyroidism.
Significant Other Hair, Skin & Nails Supplement + Retinol Boost is tailored for your aging hair biology and gives you firmer, shinier nails. If taken consistently, this potent vitamin and mineral combination will fortify your follicles and nail matrix so they become healthier and more durable.
Strengthen Your Skin with Collagen Supplements
Collagen is the most pervasive protein in your body and forms in your muscles, bones, tendons, and skin. It is the organic material that scaffolds your body’s framework and provides it with strength and structure. Collagen makes up nearly 70% of your dermis, the skin’s middle layer where your follicles, hair roots, and nail bed develop.
This protein is also indispensable for smooth skin, elastic hair, and sturdy nails; however, your system absorbs and synthesizes less of it after menopause. Other causes of reduced collagen production include:
- Sugar intake
- Ultraviolet rays
- Autoimmune disorders like lupus, scleroderma, and rheumatoid arthritis
- Vitamin C deficiency
Taking oral collagen supplements can be an effective way to replenish your dwindling reserves of collagen and improve skin hydration and elasticity.
Oral marine collagen supplements are readily absorbed into your bloodstream during digestion because they contain smaller peptide molecules compared to bovine collagen. Once in your system, type I and III marine collagens have a specific role in rebuilding your dermis, which is crucial to scalp and nail health.
Better Not Younger’s tropical fruit-flavored Power Within Skin & Scalp Collagen Gummies are each supplied with 96 milligrams of type I and III marine collagen to combat aging skin from the inside out. Use regularly to promote healthy nails and hair at the source.
Nutrients and Vitamins to Help Nails and Hair
Many women have wilted hair and splintery nails even after getting ample exercise and eating a proper diet. The physiology of your hair and nails are evolving, and you may need a nutritional boost. Regularly taking Power Within Skin & Scalp Collagen Gummies and Significant Other Hair, Skin & Nails Supplement + Retinol Boost can revitalize your hair and regenerate your nails from the inside out.
Better Not Younger addresses hair care holistically by targeting hair and scalp changes externally and internally. Look for your full line of hair care solutions on our Shop page.