Get Better Hair Growth and Thickness Results by Following These 6 Simple Tips
A new hairstyle, a fresh color, or a simple trim can revitalize your style and give you a positive outlook. Wouldn't it be great if we could always feel that way?
Age affects our hair, and styling it to look as thick and healthy as it once did can be challenging. Smooth, vibrant locks often lose their luster and fail to grow as rapidly as they did only a few years ago. And at times it may seem our hair is falling out in droves, leaving us with less volume and a widening part.
Most of us know that hair loss in women is a natural part of the aging process due to fluctuating hormones, but it doesn’t make it any easier. By age 70, more than half of us will report some degree of hair loss. So, what, if anything, can we do about it?
While there is no sure-fire answer that will work for everyone, there are several tips to try and products to use to counter our hair-loss woes.
Growth Begins on Your Scalp
The skin beneath your hair is ground zero for strand construction and development. You need healthy follicles (the tiny pocket-like organs where your hair is formed) to grow a healthy head of hair. If your scalp is inflamed or overly dry, you could experience decreased hair quality and alopecia (hair loss).
By regularly cleaning, nourishing, and massaging your hair at its roots, it is possible to boost hair health and thickness.
- Cleaning — Your pores can become blocked as residue and dead skin cells collect on your scalp. Better Not Younger’s New Dawn Activated Charcoal Scalp Cleanser uses clarifying birch and activated charcoal with alpha-hydroxy acids to unclog your pores, allowing for healthy hair. Use it once or twice a week to deep clean and exfoliate.
- Nourish — Provide your follicles with the necessary vitamins and minerals to build strong hair with Superpower Fortifying Hair & Scalp Serum. Used nightly, this serum rebalances scalp oils and conditions skin and hair at the roots while reenergizing fatigued follicles.
- Massage — Support your scalp’s hair-building functions by massaging it daily and stimulating blood flow to your follicles. Use your fingertips to massage your skin gently for three to five minutes. To give your digits a break, try Better Not Younger’s Superpower Liquid Comb Massaging Serum Applicator. Relish the sensation as you run it across your scalp while encouraging microcirculation to your hair roots. Use it to dispense Better Not Younger’s Super Serum, or on its own for denser, thicker, healthier hair over time.
1. Brush Your Hair Every Day
Your hair’s native moisturizer is called sebum oil. It hydrates, nourishes, and defends against environmental damage and is produced by sebaceous glands connected to each of your follicles. These glands administer oil onto your scalp, and daily brushing distributes the sebum along your hair shaft for added strength, elasticity, and shine.
- Wet hair is less able to withstand the stress of brushing. When you are trying to detangle damp hair, use a wide-tooth comb.
- When using a brush on dry hair, be sure it is high-quality with natural boar bristles.
- Brush every section of your hair from root to tip every day.
- Do not tug or force the brush through your strands. This may accelerate hair thinning by pulling strands from their roots or causing breakage along the shaft.
2. Select Smart Supplements for Healthy Hair
The right dietary supplements can make all the difference in supporting longer, thicker hair. Our bodies have a more difficult time synthesizing collagen, vitamins, and other micronutrients as we get older. Supplement your diet with these tasty gummies for shinier, healthier, more elastic hair:
- Power Within Skin & Scalp Collagen Gummies — Collagen is a connective tissue protein that helps give our skin its structure and elasticity; as we age and productivity wanes, our skin sags and wrinkles. Taken daily, these delicious gummies replenish natural collagen supplies to support a robust scalp and improved follicle function.
- Significant Other Hair, Skin & Nails Supplement + Retinol Boost — Elevate your body’s supply of vitamins and minerals, including iron, biotin, vitamin D3, zinc, and folic acid, to fortify hair matrix cell activity and boost hair health.
3. Eat a Varied, Well-Balanced Diet
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for hair growth, yet your body is unable to produce them. This is why it is crucial to consume adequate amounts of omega-3s and other nutrients through your diet.
To attain thicker hair, eat a diet abundant in good fats by regularly choosing foods like salmon, olive oil, nuts, and avocados.
4. Use a Shampoo and Conditioner Designed for Aging Hair
Nourish and protect your hair by selecting the best products for your needs. The shampoo and conditioner your best friend swears by may not be ideal for your hair. Better Not Younger offers two hair-care solutions, both aimed at offsetting challenges often faced by women during menopause.
For thin or fine hair, use Wake Up Call Volumizing Shampoo and follow with Wake Up Call Volumizing Conditioner. These nourishing products cleanse and moisturize without causing buildup or leaving you with flat hair.
As we age, our hair becomes brittle and more susceptible to breakage. Second Chance Repairing Shampoo for Dry or Damaged Hair and Second Chance Repairing Conditioner for Dry or Damaged Hair work differently than other shampoos and conditioners. They restore your hair's health and texture with ingredients like argan oil, rice bran oil, and ceramide-NG. They also support thicker hair by replenishing and protecting your strands against breakage.
5. Protect Your Hair from High-Heat Styling Tools
Styling tools like your curling iron or hair dryer can cause a lot more long-term damage than you might think. The heat that so effectively improves the temporary appearance of your hair could be compromising the integrity of your hair shaft and drying out your scalp.
However, if you just can't part with these tools, offset any potential damage by protecting your strands first. Apply our No Remorse Heat Protection & Taming Spray before turning up the heat. This non-greasy formula coats each shaft's length, providing a shield that guards against cuticle damage and brittleness.
6. Use Better Not Younger for Optimal Hair Health and Thickness
You can achieve longer, thicker hair by caring for your scalp, brushing correctly, supplementing a healthy diet, avoiding high-heat styling tools, and using hair-care solutions holistically designed to treat your aging hair challenges.
Better Not Younger was founded on the belief that life only gets better as we get older. Try all of our sulfate-free, paraben-free products and experience the results for yourself. Visit our Shop page to get started.